Return to site

Should You Replace Your Furnace?

Picture it… Fresno, Thanksgiving Eve, 2019: It’s 8:30 at night, the storm has hit hard and the temperature has been dropping steadily all day. Why is it so cold?! The thermostat is set to 72 degrees! Looking at the thermostat you realize the temperature in the house is at 62! The furnace is broken, AGAIN! This happened last year and the repair was over $500, and the year before that it was the air conditioner in July. Something has to change!

This is an all to common occurrence for many a household in the Central Valley. Why must we wait until our HVAC system is a complete gonner and Thanksgiving, Christmas or Labor Day is a non-temperature-controlled nightmare to consider replacement? We should do ourselves a favor and look in to changing out that hunk ‘o junk for a shiny, new unit! With several different financing options to choose from, it doesn’t have to be the Grinch Who Stole Christmas either.

When deciding on a new furnace installation, there are plenty of factors homeowners need to consider. HVAC technology has come a long way, baby.

My PG&E Bill Is Through the Roof!

AFUE ratings (Annual Fuel Use Efficiency) is a simple way to measure furnace efficiency. The AFUE calculates your air system’s energy efficiency.

In the 1970’s gas furnace had an average AFUE rating of 65%! This means only 65% of all the energy used by the system is used specifically for heating. The other 35% is lost through operations.

According to the State of California’s building code and energy requirements, new furnaces must have an AFUE rating of at least 78%. Some home furnaces have reached an AFUE rating of 98%! That means only 2% of the system’s usage is energy waste!
Apart from energy efficiency, homeowners should also consider reliability, safety, and overall system health. Depending on how these criteria are graded, a new furnace installation may be the more cost-effective decision.

What’s That Noise?!

Have you experienced any of the following:

  • Loud noises and unusual odors coming from their furnace
  • Higher utility bills
  • Inaccurate temperature levels
  • Unreliable or spotty home furnace performance
  • Poor communication between the furnace and thermostat

If you are experiencing any of these issues, it’s time to call Just Air Heating & Cooling!

Another Repair Bill Has My Bank Account Crying!

There’s no doubt about it, furnace repairs can get expensive. If your HVAC system is faulty, repairs will be needed all the time. It’s expensive and super annoying. If you find this example hitting close to your heart (and wallet), maybe it is time to list out all the HVAC related expenses that result from the old furnace repairs and what furnace you want and how much your budget is. This list should include:

  • Air quality
  • Energy efficiency
  • Heat loss
  • Ventilation issues
  • Reliability
  • Safety
  • Repair costs
  • How much time do I spend trying to get my heating right?
  • How comfortable is my home with this furnace?
  • How much do I spend to keep this furnace?
  • Would my home lifestyle be better with a new home furnace?

Depending on your answers, it may be the right time for a new home furnace.

My House Is Never Warm (or cold) Enough

When a home is being built, the total square footage of the home is what decides the size of the HVAC system installed. There are some other factors, but that is the main determination. Though this is what is supposed to happen, sometimes the wrong unit size was installed and it can’t properly heat or cool your home!

And while this can happen, usually it isn’t the case. A lot of the time, the HVAC system is the right size, but it aged early because it hasn’t received the proper routine maintenance. You should take note of the following:

  • The house takes longer to warm
  • Airflow is weak
  • The home furnace cycles too often
  • Energy spending seems higher
  • Home comfort feels compromised

You don’t have to continue to put up with a broken down, weak, insufficient and energy-sucking system! Call Just Air Heating & Cooling! We can sit down with you and talk over the benefits of installing a new HVAC unit with no pressure… just the facts!